Keeping bees happy is at the heart of Seattle Bee Works’ operations.
With beehives located across the city since 2007, Seattle Bee Works bees forage on Seattle’s bounty of plants and flowers. Thanks to an increased focus in locally produced food by Seattle’s homeowners our honeybees can stay local too.
Urban bees need beekeepers AND backyards though – so if you are a homeowner and aspiring beekeeper who’s interested in offering space in your yard for a beehive (or two, or three or four!) Seattle Bee Works would love to help out. Checkout the options below and get in touch!
Hive Share Program in Seattle.
- This program is for the new and aspiring beekeeper who wants the experience of inspecting hives alongside a seasoned beekeeper
- Whether it’s your hive or ours, hive share participants receive a basic level of knowledge and guidance in hive management as experienced during each hive inspection.
- Surplus honey is shared between the participant and Seattle Bee Works commensurate to amount of time spent managing the hive
- Hive installation and beekeeping education is provided for a seasonal fee
- One to four hives can be placed at a homeowner’s property.
- Seattle Bee Works offers an internship for aspiring beekeepers – Seattle Bee Works offeres an On-Farm Internship as part of Washington State University’s Cultivating Success Program
- Interns accepted into Seattle Bee Works Internship and completing all requirements will receive 6 CEUs
- Interns receive instruction both hive side and in group workshops, gaining an understanding of hive management strategies
- Beekeepers with more experience develop through beekeeping projects or research to advance their learning about bees and beekeeping.
- Read Testimonials from previous interns
Beekeeping Consulting/Mentoring - for beekeepers:
- Consultation fee: $85/hr or barter.
- Contact Seattle Bee Works for consulting or mentoring.
Speaking Events – For garden groups, schools or other engagements:
- Seattle Bee Works is available to give educational presentations on bees and beekeeping to schools, garden clubs, or anyone who cares about bees
- Fee negotiable